Books et. al.

I am reading Zen & the Art of Motorcycle Maintainance and loving it. Its online at http://www.design.caltech.edu/Misc/pirsig.html. Though I would suggest that you buy the book. You probably would want to read it twice atleast and it will make a good addition to your collection. It is about a motorcycle trip the author takes through US midwest-north and his musings. Goes into philosophy.

I finally also got around to buying Guns, Germs & Steel. It made a good read. It propounds a theory that tries to explain current social and economic differences between countries/civilizations by tracing back their roots to when these civilizations discovered farming, artistry, society, war meachanisms. It is a very interesting read. The only gripe I have is that it kind of glosses over two big civilizations - India, China. Also middle east civilizations. Basically, it deals with smaller and older civilizations and leaves it to the reader to apply those conclusions to the larger ones. Well, ofcourse one could argue that larger civilizations are very complex and are actually a bunch of civilizations put together in a pan because of geographic or historic reasons, and hence are complex subjects to analyze. Yet, an interesting perspective on the topic.

Read Kite Runner but coundn't figure out what the hype was about? Read Caravans by Michener if you want to read a novel based in Afghanistan. Its fiction, ofcourse.

My copy of To Kill a Mocking Bird has been in tatters since ages. Its a beautiful book - a must read! I love to re-read it every now and then. It is a story of a small US south town through the eyes of a girl.

Calvin & Hobbes... need I say anything?


Well... this post will be updated as and when I find inspiration. I am going to read Dr. Zhivago when I gather the energy. I have seen and loved the movie. Watch the movie... after you have seen Citizen kane, Godfather, Gandhi ofcourse.

Comments

Alok said…
What does tcah mean?
Sagar Bhanagay said…
Like your taste of books & movies. Have read few books u've mentioned & seen all movies herein. They were a treat :)
Dash said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dash said…
Since you liked zen and guns... try "godel, escher, bach" next. I have always wanted to read this book, now you can do it for me :)
Alok said…
GEB is great. At least the parts that I have read :). Also, I like The Selfish Gene too, but hopefully you will know how I feel about that book in my blog (if I can get myself to write about it that is).
me said…
Tcah means Tcah! Have heard about Selfish Gene, will read it after Zen. Its getting really interesting. The author has an amazing way to look at things.
Yeah, right GEB, Alok talked us into reading that. Atul gave up after 10 pages, I was smarter... gave up after 3. Later we figured, the great dude hadn't been able to read the book himself.
me said…
Thanks Sagar :) When are you updating your blog? Waiting for another nice entry :)
Sagar Bhanagay said…
It's the darndest thing... After every blog, i feel i've hit a road-block! :D
Atul said…
Not sure if this is a good idea..
me said…
:(
I knew these would be your exact words.
Alok said…
I thought you were going to write regularly?
me said…
As soon as I get a chance to take five breaths without another must-do coming my way I'll blog. Waise my comment on your blog could have qualified as an entry by itself :)
Atul said…
five consecutive ?

Popular posts from this blog

Of Karwa Chauth

Indian Institutes