Stuff...

Umm... lets see,

... I made a nice cake on Atul's birthday. I know I am saying this on my blog, but all the biased and coerced opinions aside, it really was a decent cake. And wine soaked too... now what more could you ask for? ;)





Cake


... I have decided to support Sarah Palin. It doesnt matter a fig whom I support, so why bother my head about the policies and issues? Whoever comes there is going to squeeze us for taxes and kick us for immigration. I'd rather entertain myself for chick value and real gossip while I can.

... I finally got around to buying a world map. Took me ten years to get around to buying it in US (see my shopping skills?). Interesting observation: Iran shares a very long border with Afghanistan. I mean I knew that it shared a border, but did not know it was so long. Now that explains a lot of policitcs, doesn't it?

... Its Karwa Chauth today. Fasting is something I can handle quite well, especially if it promises some improvement in dear hubby (now who can pass that kind of opportunity?). But it must be a punishable offense to leave a toasted and buttered sourdough slice lying around.

... I have always been a pro-choice on abortion. I believe that adults should be able to decide their lives. But, of late, I have been trying to synchronize my pro-choice views with my stand against female infanticide. If we say that women must be allowed to choose abortion over giving birth for social or economic reasons, don't similar justifications apply to female infanticide?

... in their twenties, everyone is a Democrat. By fifty, they are Republicans.

... Alok was saying the other day that numbers are numbers and math is for mathematics sake. It should not necessarily have to be tied to any physical occurence. I don't think I can appreciate math of that sort. To make sense, I should be able to see the slope in the derivative and the area in the integral. Maybe I am not advanced intelligence enough. Which is perhaps why I never got Tomorrow's Children.

... I do not oppose off-shore drilling. I know that it is a short term solution, and in the longer term, we need alternative fuels and public transport. But that is no reason to oppose off-shore drilling. Independent researches into environmental impact of drilling show that with current technology, the environmental impact is minimal. previous records indicate that the oil spill from oil rigs account to a very small portion of natural or shipping oceanic oil spills. Also, if environment is an issue, then oil drilling shouldnt be banned just off US coast, but everywhere. That oil sitting in the ocean bed is serving no other purpose.
The point here is that while there are no alternative solutions, there is no point in pressing a already pinched populace by raising oil prices when we have oil on hand which would otherwise be wasted and useless. But a counter point is that high fuel prices help focussing public attention on these long term needs which would otherwise never get enough priority.

...
Cel 1: Calvin walks into his room: "Oh no! Everything has suddenly turned neo-cubist!"
Cel 2: "It all started when Calvin engaged his dad in a minor debate! Soon Calvin could see both sides of the issue! Then poor Calvin began to see both sides of everything!
Cel 3: The traditional single viewpoint has been abandoned! perspective has been fractured!
Cel 4: The multiple views provide too much information! It's impossible to move! Calvin quickly tries to eliminate all but one perspective!
Cel 5: (Calvin returns to his normal self.) "It works! The world falls into a recognizable order!"
Cel 6: (Calvin approaches his dad.) "You're still wrong, Dad."

I couldn't find this strip online, so you have to do with this or just beg beg to borrow my hardcopy. Well... actually, I wasn't so mean always but I once lent these books to a friend who was expecting and later overheard a conversation decrying the kind of books folks lend to expectant moms :) Since then I have decided to lend these books only to folks who grovel at my feet.

Comments

Alok said…
It was a nice cake. After reading your comments about Sarah Palin, I was going to say 'vpilf?', but it seems people are way ahead of me on this one. Who will you punish for the bread lying around? It all depends upon how much laws should get in the way of individual choice (for the greater good of society?). If female infanticide is legal, it will happen more than it does now. I am not saying whether it is right or wrong when seen from an individual's point of view, but it seems to be clearly 'wrong' from an ethical and social point of view. While pro-choice/pro-life debate is also about ethics and society, I feel (and most people will agree, I hope), it's not as severe as female infanticide issue. There is a much more even distribution of people in both camps, whereas on the issue of female infanticide, it's a truly singly peaked distribution. I was thinking the same thing about age versus one's party affiliation. Looking at polls (such as at 538),there is a definite correlation between increasing age and being republican. I never said that mathematics is for mathematics sake. Not sure if this makes too much sense anyway. There are numerous examples of 'abstract' mathematical concepts (matrices, number theory, imaginary numbers, group theory, ...) that were developed by mathematicians 'just for kicks' and then later found useful in real life. To come back to the point I was trying to make, the number 3 for example is just that. The concept of '3' is not dependent on anything - you don't have to think of '3 this' or '3 that' to make sense of what it means to be '3'. It is not only mathematics: the color blue for example is different from all the things that are blue. About Calvin and Hobbes, you at one point had a very good habit of giving away the whole Calvin and Hobbes series to your friends. :-)

Oh, I liked this post of yours a lot. To make my response more interesting, I didn't put in paragraph breaks where I should have...
me said…
- Thanks :)
- Whats vpilf?
- Punish me? It was Atul's breakfast and he left it there
- Well, lets not say infanticide, because the is umimaginably cruel. What about female foeticide? Its selective abortion. And is done for the same economic/social reasons.
- My goodness! Statisticians are going nuts over the election.
- Not sure I understand this yet. Three represents some physical attribute.
- Muzhe samaj ne aisa banaya. But yet I am a nicer person than you are. I put line breaks, and what is more... bulletted them too :)
Sagar Bhanagay said…
The cake sure looks delicious. Final verdict if/when I get to taste some... What I found amusing though was the title 'cake' underneath the photo :D. U might have forgotten to add the prefix "Figure 1:" :)

U.S. elections are the fore-runners amongst all the 'entertainment' channels have to offer thesedays. I wake up early to catch up with all the candidate-debates & Jon Stewart's take on them. What I liked most? - Sarah's winks ;)

Karwa-chauth... hmmm... that reminds me that India's very own 'Chandra-yaan' leaves for the moon on Oct 22.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chandrayaan
I'm so excited!
Wonder what a female astronaut of Indian origin would have done, had she landed on the moon on a Karwa-chauth! :D

Abortion & female infanticide - too tricky & deep a topic to comment in a line...

Regarding math -
I'm a hard-core fan & an avid admirer of G. H. Hardy (one who 'discovered' Ramanujan). In his own words -
"I have never done anything 'useful'. No discovery of mine has made, or is likely to make, directly or indirectly, for good or ill, the least difference to the amenity of the world.".
I highly recommend the book "A Mathematicians Apology".
I feel, maths truly is like art. Why should all the clay be moulded into pots that can contain water & be 'useful'? And why should math always have areas of application? Duh! That's too much burden on a mathematician who's excited about the finding that e^(pi*i) = -1
:D

I'm a big fan of Calvin & Hobbes too. I have the entire e-book collection of his (1985-1995) & many more recent ones. The closest I could come to finding your strip online was -
http://jaiarjun.blogspot.com/2007/06/thoughts-on-calvin.html
Sagar Bhanagay said…
Forgot to mention... Had fun reading the post. It touched & opened so many avenues to think & blabber :)
Alok said…
Have you heard of 'milf'? If not, google is your friend.

Equating female foeticide with the right to choose debate is still not right I think. They are both issues with different amounts of 'severity'.

Having bullets doesn't a nice person make. :-)

Blogger doesn't allow <ul>/<ol> tags in comments...
Sagar Bhanagay said…
"Three represents some physical attribute."

George Costanza would vehemently disagree . He wanted to name his son - 'Seven'! :D
Dash said…
Since your view points are going from dems to repubs, I am assuming that you are aging faster than I thought. You seem like at 45 now.

for folks who don't want to grovel, here is the pic: http://images.ucomics.com/comics/ch/1993/ch930606.gif
me said…
Sagar:
Its an interesting thought of what an astronaut would have done for Karwa Chauth on Moon. And abotu tricky sujects to comment in a line... well, I appreciate longer comments :) And yes, if I were able to appreciate the beauty of moulded clay over functional clay pots, wouldn't have I become an artist instead of an engineer?
me said…
Dude:
Equating female foeticide with the right to choose debate is still not right I think. They are both issues with different amounts of 'severity'.
--> Why? So, if a person doesn't discriminate on sex, it's okay?

Having bullets doesn't a nice person make. :-)
--> No, but people who are nice use bullets :)
me said…
And Dash, iss baar aaoge to pair choona mere...
me said…
And yes, thanks for noticing that "Cake" caption... I had fun adding it :)
Alok said…
Great comment Dash :-).

The 'cake' caption is misleading because it points to a whole album and not just a picture of a cake. Since I had seen the real cake, I almost didn't click on the link.
me said…
I can see why twitter is popular

Popular posts from this blog

Of Karwa Chauth

Books et. al.

Indian Institutes