OMG... I have ADHD

... and have had it since I was a kid.

Here is a list of ADHD symptoms. I certainly have always suffered from ADHD, Predominantly Inattentive Type. I exhibited each and every of the nine symptoms described there. And I suffer from them today too!

My parents always attributed it to "just the way she is" with a lot of eye rolling. They applied the traditional slap-on-the-bottom therapy. It did give short lasting, but expected results. Little did they know what I suffered from...

Ah! won't it break my mom's heart to think of how many times she spanked her child who was in dire need of medications and therapy on which governments here spend to the point of bankrupcy and therapists build their careers and buy their Mercs. And for all the times my teachers thought I just wasn't paying attention, see... it wasn't my fault! Show a sensitive heart here!

What an inconsiderate and unaware world I grew up in! No wonder I am as messed up as I am. Now only if I had had that therapy....

Comments

Sagar Bhanagay said…
Lol! Reminds me of the opening chapter of "Three men in a boat", where Jerome goes thru' an exact similar self-diagnosis ;-).

Just to quote a few words...

"It is a most extraordinary thing, but I never read a patent medicine advertisement without being impelled to the conclusion that I am suffering from the particular disease therein dealt with in its most virulent form. The diagnosis seems in every case to correspond exactly with all the sensations that I have ever felt."

The whole chapter can be found at -
http://www.authorama.com/three-men-in-a-boat-1.html
:-D
Dash said…
Me too... I find it so hard to read anything more than a paragraph on websites. I don't even finish my own papers from start to finish...

I read your posts though, as fear is a bigger disease than any other...
me said…
Haha... fear is more potent than the disease... even when you are a continent across!

No, the point was not what JKJ was trying to make, that most disease adverts are "generic". The point I was trying to make is that medics here are over eager to diagnose any one even with a little deviation from the "normal" they have defined. US has the most people diagnised with ADHD and autism.
I looked the symptoms up because of an email on Cisco parents mailer from a kindergartner's mom who was concerned that her kid doesnt "finish his work in time" and "cannot sit at a place to finish his worksheet" and she was wondering whether she should get him tested for ADHD.
Hello!? Its a five year old?
me said…
Well, this wasnt a very well written entry as the sarcasm I intended did not really show. I just wanted to comment on how 'daignosis-happy' the culture here is and how even a minor deviation from the defined 'normal' is commented upon and labelled!
Also, society here expects kids to be as considerate as adults are supposed to be...
Atul said…
your sarcasm came out pretty clearly for me :)

But then I would have known even without you uttering it!

Popular posts from this blog

Books et. al.

Of Karwa Chauth

Kim Kardashian